a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Friday, May 28, 2010

making binding pictures

After adding the borders to my quilt I began to make binding. My binding is pretty good now but when I first started to make binding it was just awful .I had no idea how to go about it. I have since figured out what I need to do but it took me a long time. With that in mind I decided to tell how I do it now.
First cut the binidng strips whatever size you like, mine are usually 2 1/2 " wide ,but sometimes 2 1/4" depending on what I am doing.
1. I take one strip and turn the corner over so that it is even with the side of the strip and makes a 45' angle and press it.
2. This is where it always gets hard for me still..
I figured out that you need to take a leader and put it on a 45'angle so that you sew it on the diagonal to the corner point.
3.Then continue sewing onto the binding which is also on a 45' angle. It is easier to put both leader and binding on the 45' angle as they then work together with no problems. Be sure you start sewing exactly at the corner and I mean exactly... or your edges won't meet. Continue on to the end of the diagonal fold to where the two pieces meet exactly at the edge.
4. Now take the binding to the ironing board and and press the two pieces of binding open . It will make a lovely 45' angle with the edges meeting exactly right.
5. Go to the cutting board , lay the ruler along the seam at the 1/4 " mark and cut off the extra . You will have a 1/4" seam which you will press open so that there will be no lumps in your binding.
6. Fold the strips in half and press them to make a double fold binding, Roll up the binding and put an elastic around it to keep it from rolling out.
Good luck!!!:>))

2 comments:

Linda B in OR said...

As I read this it makes sense to me, but I'd need to actually "do" it while reading to make sure I understand it correctly. This will come in handy next time I do binding. Linda B

nanboudreau said...

That's what I'd do too Linda :>)
Nan