a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

appliqued butterflies

Tonight I just too tired from my busy day and keep falling asleep. So I'll write this blog quickly before I drop off again.
I was up early for me because Adam and Lisa left this morning at 4:40, then I fell back asleep until 6:00. Because it is/was my sewing groups day I get up early to read my paper and have breakfast. Then my friend Pat and I meet for coffee at Starbucks.
I schlepped around Zellers looking for some yarn that I thought might be what I wanted, no luck though. Now off to my first group where I set up my sewing tools and began work on the yellow butterfly. It is nearly finished and looks very nice as do the other ones. When I applique I trace the design parts onto white freezer paper because it is easier to see the pattern pieces through the white paper. Then I cut the traced pieces out along the traced lines , iron them onto the back of my fabric. I saw a tip a long time ago that said to place the applique pieces on the off grain instead of on the grain of the fabric as that makes it easier to turn the seam allowance , so I do that.
When I cut the pieces out and add the 1/4 " seam allowance, then baste the seam allowance because it the easiest way for me. Others do needle turn or other methods bit for this blog I just tell what I do. After basting the piece is ready to apply to the background. To find the middle of the background square which you cut an inch larger than you actually want it to be to allow for a bit of shrinkage from the stitching, just fold the square in half and then in half again. I have a copy of the pattern with the middle marked and put it beneath the BG square pin it to keep it stable and then apply the pieces as noted in the copy. Stitch the pieces down with silk thread and your stitches will sink down into the fabric and become invisible. My stitch is like this. I bring up the needle at one edge of the applique piece from the bottom to the top, then into the fabric, then needle down in the same place as where you brought it up, now pass the needle under the fabric and bring it up again about an eighth inch from the original stitch. just keep on like this and soon it will be finished.
Good luck with that. Tomorrow I'll take some photos.

No comments: