a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tuesday is a special day

Hi Mary, this is my apology to you for neglecting you :>))
As I walked into my second group today, the first one being in the church where we work on our own sewing, Mary made it clear she needed to talk to me. "Nan, we need to talk" she said in no uncertain terms. Oops I thought , what have I done now :>(. Mary said she had read my blog of March 8th or 9th , can't quite recall and I had written about my Tuesday groups but mostly about the first group and hardly a thing about the one she was in. So here it comes. This group is so much fun, our mandate is to make quilts for hosptials, senior's homes, young people and children. We make hundreds of quilts a year. It is such a procuctive groups of fabulous ladies. Where to begin... We hold the session every Tuesday at Mary Alice's home. She gives it over for the day every week to many women who come to help cut fabric, layer tops , quilt them , bind then and add the labels on the back. It is a beehive of industry and a true quilting bee!! But not everyone comes to sew, all are welcome. Mary Alice deserves a medal for her contribution to the community.
Mary for instance knits socks and I note that Meredith who binds and quilts was wearing a pair of Mary's socks today. Lynn and Mary Alice along with Robin, and Shirl quilt on the machines. Jocelyn, Elizabeth, Paulina and most of the others do bindings. I entertain!!! And when I can see I do bindings LOL>
That is just the upstairs group. Downstairs is where the workers cut,make strips for bindings and layer the quilts. This is just a small part of what these amazing ladies do every week. The other part is they are wonderful friends who are so willing to share their skills with each other and to give support to all.As I noted Mary knits socks, so do I , Lynn quilts for me and who know who else, she has never said, Paulina shares her cat stories to entertain us,Betty makes up to 10 quilt tops a week, she is 85 years old , handquilts and hand appliques all her own quilts, Ione keeps us all in check , after all what can happen if so many ladies are having fun LOL and organizes much of what goes on including the weekly sharing of quilts that we make for ourselves.
I personally get so many laughs at this group and that is good for the soul.
There Mary , are you happy now LOL!!!
I like to keep everybody on the Qui Vive whatever that means :>))
Time for dinner, Ray is cooking. Life is good!!

No comments: