a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sewing time

I bit later tonight , I had a short nap of  half an hour, but I did spend some time reading my latest book. It is The Lighthouse by P D James. I have not read one of her books for years. It is excellent I really like her character delineations. They really paint the picture of each character's personality and pecadillos . Of course they are full of odd character traits. Good reading. Oh and the mystery is murder .
As it was Sunday we did not go far from home. We just went to Safeway for fun LOL. We bought a loaf of bread and some flour. It is so seldom we use flour so I have to buy the smallest bag, I think it is 2.5 pounds. I don't do any baking and only use flour to make gravy or cheese sauce and not much of it. But the flour canister was almost empty.
We came home and I had Ray put up the ironing board so that I could starch and iron all my Hallowe'en items, table runners and hangings.

Then the magic happened, I got to fixing up those blocks I got at guild last month. And I took some photos of the process. It was fusible applique. I did the four blocks that were in the bag but did not actually do the applique sewing on the machine.  That will be my next step.After all the ironing and then the preparing of the blocks I was too tired to do any more. But still I was happy with what I did do.
Step one: Iron the heart onto the back of the fabric. Use your pressing film.
Step two: Cut out on the given line.

Step three: Peel away the white backing and press the heart onto the background fabric, using the pressing film so as to keep the glue off your iron.

Step four: Done.
Here are the four blocks...

 Now to do the machine applique and that will be it. Remember I did all those blocks the other day.

I love the look of these Japanese Lanterns or as the Chinese call them Chinese Lanterns. Even as a kid I loved them. They are so cheerful. Isn't the fall season wonderful for all the fabulous colours that are on display?
And they are so papery to touch.

Adam called this morning, he wanted toknow if I got the photo of Adam and his new creation. I did , it was on the blog last night. We talked about the respective merits or demerits of our respective health systems. That is always a topic for discussion between us. He did tell me of a friend whose wife had a heart attack and they discovered a bad valve. The bill for the surgery was $400,000 as the friend did not have insurance. I was aghast and felt so sorry for the friend. I know we have to wait for surgery but if it is life threatening we can get it right away. I got help all last year right away when I was taken to the hospital. I guess it is a discussion we'll always have. :))
Now aren't these little guys beautiful . I think they are weimaraners. I would like one of these dogs. But then it seems that I would like most dogs.
 
More wonderful fall colours. Sunflowers make a full burst of colour.
 
A native representation  of the Harvest moon last week.
There that's the one I saw just a coupleof nights ago. It was amazing and low in the sky.
 
A black swan and her grey cygnets. These are the most beautiful of birds. And the most graceful . I have seen them I think in Victoria and definitely in England.
A sweet baby, he looks as if he has a bandage around his neck for support LOL. I wonder if he can stand up yet.
Time's up folks.
Have a great evening.
 
 
 
 













No comments: