a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

wednesday guild

Another day and my laptop is back home with a new browser Firefox. I tested it and lo and behold it works. I tested it in the store to see if I could bring up my photos. And it worked. Hurrah!

Tonight is guild and dinner so I will stop the blog and get back to it tonight when I come back home.
Back home and ready to write.  
Kathy picked me up and we drove to the estaurant across town for dinner. Usually there are four of us for dinner but Barb had a meeting and Judy couldn't come so Kathy and me it was. We had a good talk as well as dinner. I had salad and sole and rice for dinner. It was a lot of food and I could not eat the garlic bread. Too bad as I like it . Kathy had a Caesar salad with shrimp. 
When we got to the guild we were early so I looked at the books in the library but didn't take one out.There is so much on the internet for quilters that I don't really need to carry books. Maybe next guild night I'll take out a couple of books when I manage to remember to bring a bag to carry them in.
The first thing on the agenda was the guest speaker. She was funny and entertaining , she had some amazing quilts and many of them were painted. The first thing she did was give us a postcard with a picture of Willy on it. I asked her "Was this quilt  in Houston". She said it was and I mentioned that it was on my computer. I took the photo when I was in Houston for the big show. I wish I could go again....
Here's Willy
 
 Willy is Judy's, the speaker, best friend's husband. When I saw this quilt in Houston I had no idea it was a man so close to home. She and he  live in Maple Ridge. Ray and I lived there 24 years ago. There was no quilting community then but apparently it is quite active there now.
There were so many wonderful quilts but no way I can show them all.
Here are a couple of interesting ones.
 She is known she said for her animal quilts taken from the back. From the content of her speech I am sure they are called something else LOL.
 As you can tell she does a lot of painting and also many of her quilts were thread painting. It just amazes me how talented many quilters are.








Judy called this one Menopause because the dragon looks and feels like a woman going through menopause. Unfortunately  my photo does not give the details but it was beautifully done and  very expressive LOL.

 This man is pouring tea, I can't quite remember the details of where she met him but I do love the quilt.

 Another fascinating quilt made from a picture taken by her sister when she was somewhere in Africa. What made me interested was the height of the man in the middle. Who would believe this was a quilt. I saw a number of painted and thread painted quilts in Houston and was rather disappointed in painted quilt but have since changed my mind and realize it is another medium for artists.


Guild ended pretty early and we were home before 10:00.
 

Sam's picture from last night at dinner.
 I thought I'd catch him unaware but he caught me instead.

That's it for tonight folks.
Have a good evening.
Goeienand.


 
 


 

No comments: