a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Monday, January 11, 2010

The Knit Kit

Another blog about knitting. I was planning to write a pattern for socks but decided that took way to much "time and space" :>) but I will show you my knit kit and the casting on of the sock. This one uses 4 needles as that is what I have for this size wool but for smaller yearns I use 5 needles.
The cast on for this red sock was 14 stitches on the first and second needles and 16 on the third needle using size 4 Canadian metric needles.
I prefer to do a knit one purl one rib but some prefer to do 2 knits and 2 purls. The best tip I can give you is to cast on loosley rather than tightly. My rib is just 14 rows of rib and then knit from 6 to 8 inches of cuff. With this wool you might want to make a smaller cuff. When I did the grey socks the cuff was 8 inches and at the end of the second sock I had only 4 inches of yarn left. A bit too close for me :>)
When I get to the heel I'll give more instructions.
Watch for it !!
My Knit Kit is one I bought years ago and it is wonderful. some pieces are missing and I would love to find another one but so far no luck. It has needles for threading the wool, a great little ruler with holes in it where you can stick your needles if you have lost the package and it will give you the correct size of the needle. There are cable needles and stitch holders, counters as well. It is a very handy addition to your knitting basket.

No comments: