a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Saturday, January 9, 2010

To Knit or Knot to Knit

Yesterday I promised to talk about Wool or Yarn as some call it. I have knitted since I was 8 years old off and on . Sometimes there would be a hiatus of a decade or more and then back at it. This decade I am at it but in a much lesser way than when I was
young. In the early days there were big Indian sweaters as we called them at the time with wonderful designs , Aran knit sweaters with elegant cable patterns, beautiful lacy patterns, socks, mitts scarves and whatever caught my fancy.
I had a bit of difficulty learning to knit.
as my mom was not a patient teacher and would proclaim
that the twins, can't recall their names , could knit when they were four. I was eight and what was the problem. Eventually I got it after she showed me how to cast on, which was the problem. It was off to the races from then on.
By the time I was twelve it was sweaters and socks that I made , matching ones at that:>)After many projects now I only knit socks and dishcloths as my arthritic hands will not hold anything heavy. But it was a good run and an enjoyable one.
My feet are cold in the winter even though our climate is temperate. I have neuroapthy in them and they love to be warm. Also they need to have soft yarn that is easy on the feet, not hard wools which are hard on my feet.
My latest discovery is a yarn made by Lion Brand Yarn called Wool-Ease worsted weight. I have one warm and cuddly pair in grey and am going to begin another set in a bright red.
Red alone keeps the feet warm LOL>
Tomorrow I'll set out the needle size and the beginning cast on stitches.
Keep on keeping on until the end of the road!!

1 comment:

Jaayimee said...

I love how your blog is turning out! Great job!