a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Friday, January 29, 2010

a Time To Sew

You all know how it with sewing, you want to make something and intend to do so but there is a deadline and it doesn't get done. Last year I saw a Hallowe'en wall hanging in the October /08 issue of The Love of Quilting, it wasn't last year was it, but the year before :>). But since it was the October issue I just knew it would not be done in time for Hallowe'en, next year I thought. Well next year came and once again it was too late to do it. But this time I said it will be started and it will be finished by October of this year ,2010. And so it began.It was an applique piece ,and while applique is something I can do very easily, this was machine applique a new challenge for me. I know it could be done by hand but this was the year when I wanted to challenge myself and learn new things. My friend Lynn gave me instructions and it went very well. Then December came and the piece was shelved for the season. When January arrived there were the end bits of the border which had corn candy in each of the 4 squares to do. Talk about proscrastination, I did not want to do them , small bits and three in each piece of candy. Blanket stitch would not work well in the middle of the candy so I decided to do a small zig zag. If all else fails do a ZZ LOL. It would have been easy if an ordinary applique was done or to leave off the candy in those squares altogether.
No I decided not to be a coward , it had to be done right or as the designers did it. New learnings have to be done :>)
Today I finished the top, and I am really happy that I went for the gusto as Ray would say!!
Also I kept on to the end of the road, which is another of my homilies. I'll talk about it another day. Pictures tomorrow.

No comments: