a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Book reviews

I got my laptop this morning and had a bit of trouble getting things going called Ben and he told me what to do. I am so happy, it is a brand new one .
However I had quite a few things to do and nearly forgot to write this blog, can you imagine:>))
We are watching the first game of the Stanley Cup playoffs for the Vancouver Canucks against Los Angeles. The score is tied at the end of the second period.

I wanted to finish the first sock for Ione and for sure it will get done tonight.

We took a bag full of books to the library today, Louis XIV and his secret wife went back to where they came from. It wasn't a bad book but long and as you know history writers ,not history novelists, tend not to want to leave anything out, not a single thing. However it was an good story for anyone who likes the story of Royals. I do....

I am finding that Jane Austen's Mansfield Park is a bit of hard going. First the language is somewhat archaic, not what I am used to so it takes some conditioning to adapt to it, then the mores and customs of the Victorian age are very different from our way of life. Father really did know best in that age. He ruled the household often with an iron fist and all were subject to his will.
The eldest daughter had to marry first before any subsequent sisters could take on a husband, then the eldest son was called Mr. Bertram, the eldest daughter was called Miss Bertram , both last names.
Others were called Miss Julie etc, you get the picture.
For the first 200 pages it appeared to me that the writing was blurred, it was a very strange thing, and then magically it all cleared up and I could see it all clearly. That is half way through the book though so I did a good job of sticking with it and am beginning to understand the style of writing now and the stroy is becoming clearer.
I love to read and have done so every day of my life, some books just easy reads , popular novels and murder mysteries, sometimes something a bit more challenging but always in English. LOL
Now back to the sock. Tomorrow I try out my new table.
Have a good evening.

No comments: