a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Sunday, August 19, 2012

birds of a feather

Singer sewing machine by bonnebouche on Cake Central http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1322539/singer-sewing-machine
What a surprise this is, reminds me of my 80th birthday cake :))
Can you see the resemblance LOL.

Mary told me I had the wrong photos up for Rose and her angel wings , so here they are LOL .And doesn't she look angelic ?

Wrong size of lettering too. I had it on 125% zoom so it looked okay to me. My what can I do right. I'll tell you later after dinner.LOL
What I did right today was sew. I sewed 14 DP blocks and cut and pinned another 14 blocks. Busy day for me. I also did the washing several loads and made diner. Not a big dinner but one of my favourite depression meals, macaroni and tomatoes with a bit of celery thrown in. And it was as good today as it was in 1938. Oh I know , a lot of carbs but tomatoes are good for you. So it is a trade off. We also went out earlier in the day to pick up some things at the pharmacy and to have lunch at SubWay. We didn't care for the produce at the store so didn't buy any. There is always another day.haha. 
And no nap for me today, must be doing something right. Wonder what it is.
Pictures tonight are mostly of birds. I did mention that I was a bird lover didn't I?
Black swan taking the little cygnets for a ride. Amazingly the cygnets are white and grow up to be black.

Sulphur Crested Cockatoos. If these are the larger cockatoos they live in Australia. We had a pair of the smaller ones called Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo when we had birds and they have a yellow ear patch. They come from the island of Timor. The cockatoos are a very loud bird who like to screech in the morning and in the evening.
A Scarlet Macaw, very large birds , the largest of the parrot family . they inhabit the northern jungles of South Amercia. Their large beak  enables them to easily crack large nuts and seeds. They also have a very loud screech and vocalize in the morning and evening like most birds. The Scarlet Macaw eats the clay from a  Clay Lick, it is assumed to be something they need for healthy living but no one knows for sure why they do it. Maybe it is a type of Parrot candy LOL.

These gorgeous birds are Scarlet Ibis. We saw them many years ago when we were in Trinidad. We were taken on a boat through an amazing swamp, the Caroni Swamp, where mangrove trees stretched their aerial roots throught the air right into the swamp. They are able to tolerate much more salt than other plants so can live in the brackish  water of swamps .
Don't they look eerie like old witches standing in water.
To go back to my story... We went through the swamo to an place where the boat  docked and waited there for some time. Then came a wondrous sight . Thousands of Scarlet Ibis came flying in ,landing on the dark green branches of the trees. It looked as if a Christmas had suddenly been decorated with beautiful scarlet lights. I often think of that brilliant sight  and am happy to have been there. Thank you Richard for giving us that trip.

I have no idea what this bird is but the colour is just to beautiful to not present it.


Bird time is over , they have all landed for the night LOL.

Now for somthing I don't often put on my blog but this picture was just too good not to add it.

Love is grand!

Now I am going to clean out my pictures, way too many on my computer and I know it will take some time to delete them all.
Have a great evening folks.
Bon soir.












No comments: