a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Sunday, November 7, 2010

WD40

There has been a talk on one of my lists about WD40 and how it applies to quilting. Did you know that rotary blades can dry out and stick together, I had no idea at all that could happen. Apparently if you spray them with WD 40 it makes them separate and become usable again. It was funny because I had a little bit of information about how WD 40 got its name that I was intending to post here. The inventor of WD 40 tried many time while working on this invention of Water Displacement ,note WD. What does the 40 stand for, it stands for the number of times he tried and failed. Hmm does that recall to mind Robert the Bruce and the spider? So WD 40 belongs in your sewing room I guess.
After housework: the day was beautiful , one of those Autumn days that make you happy to be where Autumn happens.  Of course winter inevitably follows but it has its compensations too.
We went out to Surrey to a large quilt shop that carries yarn and knitting needles.
The store was empty, what a shock but eagle eyes Ray spotted a sign saying something and it had an arrow pointing south. I got out of the car , the sign said 2 doors down. I followed the arrow and came to a much smaller shop. However it was really warm and intimate and I liked it a lot better that the huge one. I told the owner so. She said they had to leave the former shop due to rent increases. That is happening all over the Lower Mainland due to the recession. It is hitting store owners very hard.She said that malls were selling out and rents were going up.  I hope that this shop can keep it together but for sure not on the sale I made today.
 I wanted some Bamboo needles size 4 1/2. They just had size 5 . I bought them anyway because I think I can compensate for the size by the fact that they are Bamboo. Then I bought a cute, cute kit for a baby bib for my new great grandchild who won't be arriving until January.   Who buys a kit for a bib,:)) well obviously some of us as there were several kits available.
Then we went to a very large mall, whatkind of  idiot goes to a mall on Sunday , well lots of us with the big I on our  foreheads. Parking was difficult, driving around the lot was difficult. Lucky us we found a handicap stall, usually they are full all the time too. Too many of us around nowadays. LOL
We decided to have lunch at the food court, Chinese food. I sat down at a table and a huge Asian man came by. He must have been at least 7 feet tall. We have many Asian people in Vancouver , most of them a modest height , and this man was the tallest man I have ever seen. He was tall, dark and  handsome , it was hard not to stare. I had to sneak looks LOL.
Ray loves the big horses Clydsdales, Percherons and Belgians ,he worked with them in the north woods of Ontario when he was young and still retains a love for them. I found a calendar with these horses as the theme ,they are hard to find so I bought it for him.
By then it was time to go home.
Isn't this adorable?
Have a good night tonight.
Bon nuit.

No comments: