a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Monday, November 1, 2010

and once more

I meant to say yesterday that Vancouver's mayor is promoting back yard chicken coops. We had one of those when I was young. Two little bantams were left behing by the previous owners when my parents bought the house. I loved those little banties. We had the coldest longest winter on record at the time and eventually after much begging by us kids brought the banties into the basement. However the house was frigid because we could not get fuel for the furnace. We were desparately cold that winter.  The fuel we used was sawdust poured into a sawdust hopper. For some reason there was no sawdust that year, something to do with the activity in the wood mills at the time. The only heat we had in a big two story house was what little amount of twigs my dad was able  to pick up from around the wooded empty lots and the park below us to supply the kitchen stove and the fireplace. That was precious little believe me and as we also cooked on the kitchen stove we had to use that only for cooking. It was disastrous for humans and for the poor little chickens.
I do note that we quilters have a love affair for chickens especially the little pincushions.
On to sewing, I began to work on my animal skins quilt. No sewing but I ironed two metres of a rich dark chocolate brown for the one inch sashing and laid all the squares out on the bed to put them in a pleasing order and to make certain that each row had a head of an African animal. Sounds a bit weird doesn't it. :) I picked up all the blocks one row at a time and pinned piece of paper with the number of the row on it as well as pinning through all the blocks for that row to make sure they stay in place. Hope it works LOL.
I knit  a bit on brown sock #1 and tonight I will do the decreases for the toe. These big needles and heavier wool make for quick  knitting. On to #2 haha....
We went to Costco this morning. I had hoped to find my favourite date book which I susally buy there but I guess it was too late, none there. I I am unhappy about that . But we spent only $35 instead of $150. That was good self control on both our parts. We did stop for the hot dog and sat with a nice couple who had just come back from Hawaii. She said all the time whe was there she longed for a Costco hot dog. Well they are good but Hawaii???? I certainly would not be thinking of anybody's hot dog if Iwas in Hawaii. Not that I have ever been there so what would I know LOL. I would love to go but Ray is not interested.
So instead of Hawaii I am going to my chair and knit. Have a good one folks.
Good night ....
Buenos Noches

4 comments:

Miss M (Granddaughter Mary) said...

Its ok if Grandpa doesn't want to go, I'll go with you! :D

Anonymous said...

Lulu

I have so enjoyed reading your blog, not only are you multi talented you are also very funny. Your quilts are a work of art.

I have to ask, Kathy's SBS is that pattern in print anywhere that I could purchase a copy? Your Halloween wall hangings are so cute.

I am a fellow quilter of thirty plus years living on the Atlantic Ocean.

Eva
Bedford, NS

nanboudreau said...

Eva, Thank you so very much for your lovely comment. I do appreciate it. Kathy's little SBS can be found at Emblibrary.com Deb ont hat site outs out a new one each week for $2. Let me know if you can find it. I lived in Halifax in '59 to '61. I remember Nova Scotia fondly. My 5th son was born there.
hugs
Nan

nanboudreau said...

haha Mary if we only had won that 50 million sigh.
love
G