a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

dinner for four

Dinner for four takes all afternoon to cook LOL. Peter came over to visit with us and Jim and he stayed for dinner. The Man Who Came to Dinner :))
I cooked today ,yes me, and I made chilli , cauliflower and cheese soup for dinner tonight and barbecued ribs for tomorrow night's dinner when Matthew, Caroline, Chelsea and Ryan will be here for dinner. The ribs put me ahead  for tomorrow night when macaroni and cheese are on the menu. I am pretty well  done for the night. But it was fun to have the two sons here to cook for.
I had no time for sewing and Ray put the embroidery machine away for the rest of the week, the sewing machine is also having a few rest days while company visits.
We took the morning to do some shopping, picked up my prescriptions,toured around Canadian Tire because Ray and Jim like to wander around that store. It's not bad for me either as there are many household items as well as car parts in the store. We didn't buy anything though, then we had a coffee and doughnut at  Tim Horton's.

Mary Alice's Christmas quilt.
 I went to London Drugs and the camera man there fixed my camera so that all my photos were not yellow . I was quite unhappy with the highly yellowed photos.  There are no new photos yet so we'll see how that goes. And of course I forgot to take a picture of Jim and Peter, it was my intention but you know how that goes. It is a paved road LOL

Here is the recipe for ribs.


3 lbs of spareribs

one medium onion one tbsp of butter or bacon drippings

one tbsp of vinegar

one tbsp of sugar

3 tbsps of lemon juice

1/2 tbsp prepared mustard

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup chopped ce;ery

2 tsps salt/dash of cayenne

2 tbsps Worcestershire Sauce

one cup of  Heinz hot ketchup and 1 1/2 cups of water

To start , I just saute Celery and onions, then braise the ribs to brown them.
A  warning, Be careful not to cut your finger while chopping . I wasn't and my finger bled profusely :(

Put them in a large casserole dish .add the sauce , cover and put them in the oven at 350’ until they are browned and smelling good. That should take a few hours to make them fall off the bones.
My Christmas present to you..... Merry Christmas.
I'm still talking haha.
Eye of the Beholder by David Ellis. A pretty good book that keeps you engrossed right up to the end. An attorney who successfully prosecuted the killer of 6 women 15 years ago. The murderer is convicted and sentenced to death. Now there are more snd similar murders. It is a puzzle and is not solved until the end of the book. It kept me guessing. So if you like these kinds of stories, this is a decent read.
Now I am finished talking LOL.
Take it easy tonight.
Oyasumi...

No comments: