a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Wet,wet and more wet

What a wet day, it poured all day but strangely though I love the rain. Oh I said that before didn't I? I alwasy think on a day like this of a time when I was about 9 and went downtown with my mom, just the two of us, which was something unusual, And it was raining cats and dogs just like today. We  ran from one shop on Hastings to the next, from Woodwards towards where the Sears building is today. originally it was called Spencer's. We had a nice time in Woolworths across from Spencer's ,looked at all the good things you could find in a five and dime store in those days, we ate a  ham salad sandwich at the lunch counter. I begged my mom to buy me a cutout doll book and she did. She rarely spent money that way so it was a huge treat. My memory of that day is vivid and sentimental but one I often recall and enjoy over and over especially on a rainy day like today.  Memory is a strange thing, a smell can evoke a memory that is vivid and strong. A quilt pattern can also bring warm memories to mind. Music of course is a prominent cause  of memories flooding the mind, particularly romantic songs that bring back another time. Snow on Christmas Eve will evoke a special present.
I went to the Tuesday group today and we had our annual Christmas pot luck party. Ray made his famous devilled eggs and they were fabulous as usual. People at my groups love his eggs and always ask for them. Ione sends him a thank you card each time he makes them. He loves that... :))
However Ione did not get any today as she is in Community Quilts not the Tuesday Group formally called Kerrisdale Quilters.
We ate at around noon and it is 5:00 and I am still not hungry, must have been too much fat and sugar. That will do it LOL. Most of the ladies brought their sewing today but I didn't. However I took my fabric for the backing of my quilt so that Sharon could advise me on how to do it. We discussed her ideas and mine and I think I have it figured out. That was my sewing for the day LOL.

Split nine patch, it makes a really nice design.

Betty Lu's hand quilting, this is a 15 year old UFO which she decided to finish this year.

Pat, my Tuesday coffee buddy, whom I have known since 1942, and me .

Wendy taking photos and me taking her picture taking photos :)

Betty's adopted kitty. He was a stray who came sniffing around one winter looking for food, She put food out for him, then he tentatively came in but was really skittish and just came into the kitchen.  Now he owns the house and is a wonderful friend and companion for Betty. We all love him too.
I went to Community Quilts after that  and had Ione stand on a ruler so I could get the number of inches of her foot. I need to get the socks the right length. I won't tell you how big her feet are . :))
Everyone was still quilting and piecing the quilts. I had a couple of ideas for making tops for the babies.  Actually I will use the left over Skins squares for a boys quilt. Sharon suggested that one. Jocelyn made me tell the story of how Ray and I met to some of the other ladies but no I do not intend to tell that one here today, maybe another time haha.
Ray had stuff out for dinner when I got home but I was too full still so we decided to forgo dinner. We may live to regret that decision.....That's the day folks. It was wonderful as usual.
Have a cozy evening by the fire...
Oiche mhaith....

No comments: