a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Thursday, December 30, 2010

a movie

Kathy and I went to see The King's Speech with Colin Firth as King George VI, Helena Bonham Carter as the King's wife Queen Elizabeth and Geoffrey Rush as the speech therapist Lionel Logue. What a cast of characters, they were superb. Yes this film deserves Oscars galore.
It is a tale of King George's heroic efforts to overcome a dreadful speech impediment, a persistent stutter. His father George V was portrayed in a minor role of what was a major role in King George VI life. He was so critical and cruel to the King as a young boy and was the reason for the dreadful lack of confidence. I remember my mom and dad talking about the stammer of the king and of his brother Edward VIII who abdicated the throne to marry the "woman he loved" Wallis Simpson thus causing George VI to ascend to the throne against his will. I remember him and Queen Elizabeth during WW2 And how they were so loved and cherished by the people for their dedication to the British people who endure so much during that time. They refused to leave London during the horrendous attacks  on the city,
However that is not the story of this movie. It addresses the therapy methods of the unconventional Lionel Logue and is in its way both sad and hilarious. I liked it when the therapy consisted of swearing over and over. No stutter there. Singing was another way to put the stutter to rest.
Helena Bonham Carter as the queen was  beautiful and portrayed Elizabeth in an appropriate way. She displayed a true royal demeanor , balancing her  high position with her humanity and  her love for the King.
Geoffrey Rush as the therapist was amazing in his portrayal as Lionel Logue with his unusual methods of speech therapy.
Colin Firth was absolutely amazing in his ability to use the glottal sounds of a stutterer, he must have had to take speech therapy lessons LOL.
The movie showed Edward VIII with Wallis Simpson in a sympathetic light but did not dwell on them. However I was amzed that they found an actress who was so like Mrs. Simpson soon to become the Duchess of Windsor rather than the Queen of England. She was a real surprise.
All the actors in this film were strong contenders and not one failed to live up to his role in the movie.
If you are at all interested in amazing acting, interesting characters and a time in history when the world was on the brink of war again, you will enjoy this movie.
I would see it again .
As for my life that was it for the day, I ate a big bag of popcorn and a coffee while watching the show. Who can go to a movie without eating something. :))
When I came home I lay down and had a nap, the hard work of enjoying myself made me very tired LOL.
Have a good evening, consider going to a movie tonight :))
No sewing for me today and no knitting either.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Now I have to watch this one...

Katie said...

Now I have to watch this one...