a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

how to make a mitered corner on binding

Dona, this is for you.

1.To make a mitered corner on the binding add a small pin, the kind used for dressmaking at a quarter inch away from the corner of the quilt.
Put/pin the binding on as you usually do and sew to the small pin. I use a dress pin because it is not in the way of the 1/4" foot, you can easily lift the phalange of the foot onto the top of the pin and sew to the pin. Leave the needle down in the quilt at the pin.



2. Turn the quilt so it is at a 90' angle and sew down to the edge of the quilt/bindingand reverse for a few stitches. Then cut the thread.



3. Take the binding and turn it straight up towards the edge of the quilt .



4. Fold it over and and bring it down so that it is even with the next edge of the quilt but leave it a bit higher than the first edge. I got this tip from Sharon Schamber and if it works for her it is good enough for me, plus it makes the corner full and you do not have to cut off the little triangle at the tip of the corner.



5.Sew the binding down at 1/4" from the edge with a few backward stitches to secure the binding. Continue on with your sewing and do the same thing at the next corner.



I put a bit of stretch on the binding to keep is straight and so it does not buckle.
Good luck.

2 comments:

Diana Davis said...

Good morning Nan! I just sat here and browsed through all your beautiful pictures. You are so talented!! I did enjoy them. Love your nature shots too.

Well I thought I should finally comment on one of your blogs. I so rarely get on any of them; even my own! Love ya girlfriend! ♥

nanboudreau said...

Diana, thnks for the comments and the nice remarks on my photos.
Glad you enjoyed them.
Love you too :>))