a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Monday, June 7, 2010

Off topic as if that is new :>)

In the paper this morning there was an article on the " Little Adult Syndrome" regarding the trend towards making littel girls grow up way too early. This is done by the way they are dressed in designer clothes and little high heels, nail polish and makeup and the early onset of puberty as young as 9.
Suri Cruise was featured in this aticle. Now I have never had a daughter , was blessed with 5 sons, but noticed throughout my life that all little girls loved to dress up, paint their nails and lips and wear mom's high heels.
As for early onset of puberty, I heard a speaker talk on this subject at least 16 or 17 years ago so it is not a new phenomena. She said that the onset of puberty for girls has been gradually occurring at a younger and younger age since the early 1900s coincident with the use of electric light and television. I recall my mom saying she did not reach puberty until she was nearly 17, she was born in 1901 and lived in Scotland where it is always dark :>). I was born in 1932, no TV andearly to bed in Northern Manitoba where it is mostly always dark LOL and reached puberty at 13 1/2.
I think that speaker was right on in her assumption. Thinks about the birds, they lay their eggs when it begins to get lighter and hens can be made to lay more eggs with greater frequency if the lights are left on all the time.
So if you really want your daughters to have a later menarch , put them to bed early in a dark room and no TV .... Comments?
As for me I am going to finsih off my binding for tomorrow when I can get Lynn to sew the ends together. LOL

No comments: