a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Monday, October 11, 2010

French Seams

I did French seams today for the first time. Always something new to learn in this life. The first time takes a lot of effort but I'm sure the second time will take fewer minutes. The project is a pillowcase for Honour House which Community Quilts is furnishing with quilts and pillowcases. So that is my donation to the project for today. French seams are those that are sewn twice,  first the seam is sewn on the outside ,pressed, then the pillowcase is turned to the inside and sewn with a seam that is a bit larger so as to contain the edges of the first seam. It is a very neat system and no ravelling of the edges. I liked it.   I'll do another one for CQ.
I had another request for winter socks today, no rush, my friend said , so I'll finish Katie's first then take care of my friend. She offered to make me a chicken pincushion. Very handy because when Katie saw mine  said she would love to have one . Mine are very used as you know I pin a lot so I didn't want to offer her one of mine. This will be great.The  barter system is alive and well in Vancouver ;))
It was a qiuet day for us, I hardly slept last night so I had a long nap this afternoon so very quiet for Ray LOL
Adam and Lisa left early this morning for Vancouver Washington where Adam has a meeting with the NOAA Committee. He has been on that board for some time , I always have to ask what it is but know it has something to do with the health of Oceans. It is a federal government initiative. They will fly home from PortlandOregon.
http://www.c-some-stitches.com/view.php?item_id=244
If you have an embroidery unit on your machine these are some very nice free standing lace Christmas designs. They would look lovely on your tree. When I first strted FSL my friend Gail sent me some vilene and it was great to work with. Of course I used it up and bought some other type of washable stabilizer which I don't like quite as much but it does the job. I must get ready to sew some of those soon. I have been sewing and making embroidered towells and such so have not done any FSL for some time. I need to get going soon.  But not tonight, tonight I'll work on my sock once I am finished here....
Have a lovely evening.
Guten Abend.

No comments: