a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Sunday, August 1, 2010

"It was the best of times

It was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdon, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity", so begins the Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens Written in 1859 or is that published in 1859, "in the superlative degree of comparison"..
And so begins the French Revolution featured in the book. We watched this movie in black and white this afternoon. I have read the story on a couple of occasions in my lifetime as it is a story of great evil on one hand and cruel retribution on the other. The storming of the Bastille by the peasantry July 14,1789 is the defining feature of this movie. One is compelled to cheer for the revolutionaries , yet later on in the story to decry the viciousness of the same rebels.
The symbolism of Darnay and Carton as mirror images of each other , the one good and the other bad, the eternal theory of good and evil as so often embodies in the good twin and the bad twin, the polar opposites is indicated in the opening paragraph.
I do not know why this particular Tale always affects me strongly but do suggest that you may want to watch this particular movie.
So that is it for the day. We did the usual cleaning and washing but not much else. I will start the heel of my sock this evening.
For now even though it is early I will put up this blog, may return to it later if I have anything else to add.
Tata maybe later.

2 comments:

dequilter said...

Nan, I don't think so. In your next life you will definitely be a writer. Had to read Tale of Two Cities in high school and was bored to tears. I sent you 3 emails yesterday.(8/1), 2 of them were the pictures I sent before and one was asking if you have received them. Sorry to hear about Mac. Is he in pain ? Jean

nanboudreau said...

Jean,
Still no mail from you. Thsiis really strange.
love
Nan