a favourite shade of blue

a favourite shade of blue

Friday, August 13, 2010

Van Gogh

I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.
Vincent Van Gogh
I have been thinking of Van Gogh today as my friend with whom I had lunch has tinnitis and she said it was painful at times as well as extremely irritating because of the ringing in the ears.
I have read that Van Gogh had severe tinnitus, sometimes called "Terror in the Ear" and suffered greatly from this disease. It has been said that was the reason that he cut off his outer ear or as I have also read the lobe of his right ear. In my fanciful way I think that people back then did not know that there was an inner ear and so Van Gogh cut off the outer ear to minimize the ringing. Now I did say I was fanciful so do not take me at my word on this :>))
Another story is that he cut off his ear to give to a prostitute, sort of like Lend an Ear. Lots of interesting stories surrounding Van Gogh.
The friend I mentioned was saying today that she always said that we had been friends for 40 years but she would have to change that to 50 years now LOL.
It was good to visit with her. However I was in bad shape today and walking was quite difficult, my legs were so shaky. But before I came home I had to take Ray to pick up his car at the body shop. And then we went to the mall for a coffee.
When I came home I went to bed for a nap, same as yesterday. It must be the heat interfering with my heart rythmns and breathing. It is supposed to be hot for the next week or so.
I have not done any work today either, no energy for that. But I did look at my fabric and thought it was pretty :>)) Does thinking qualify?
I like Van Gogh's comment at the beginning of this blog. We, as quilters can truly relate to it.
The end.
Have a good evening! Buona Notte!

No comments: